You know those days when your face actually hurts from smiling? We are reminded that our face has muscles, 43 to be exact, and just like the rest of the body releasing our facial muscles requires some technique. Whether from stress, laughing or crying, our facial muscles hold strain that can use a good stretch.
AN ANCIENT RITUAL FOR THE MODERN ERA
Gua Sha is like yoga for the face and clears the energy and toxic stagnation that we may unknowingly be holding onto. The practice of Gua Sha has been around for centuries in Chinese medicine to promote skin well-being, circulation, and remove stagnant toxin build-up.
Just a quick practice will reveal a radiant, rosy and youthful transcendental glow—it also feels wonderful to release. Consider Facial Gua Sha as your personal deep tissue masseuse, or your self-love reiki master, all from the comfort of your couch.
Gua Sha tackles the fascia, a fibroelastic membrane that covers the muscles and is composed of connective tissue rich in collagen fibers. When used on the skin, a Gua Sha tool relieves any blockages in the facial muscles, leading to a more optimal circulation and toxin release. With some deft "toggle" moves, the lymphatic system is encouraged to move, flushing the toxins out of the face—which will help prevent the appearance of breakouts and breathe new life into your visage.
The first thing most people notice after a Gua Sha facial is a rosy, more toned complexion. The face muscles will be relaxed and rejuvenated, much like after a massage, and can aid in reducing the appearance of wrinkles and smoothing the look of fine lines. Your skin will be recharged with exceptional energy and glow. When circulation is increased and our chi is flowing properly, the skin is awakened and your spirit will shine.
STEP 3: Apply the All-Embracing Serum. Rub your hands together to warm the serum and apply to the face. As a general rule of thumb, you’ll want to use the All-Embracing Serum as it provides enough slip so that you can really work the product into your skin, without too much pulling or dragging, and that boasts ingredients so that you’ll end your session with a hydrating glow.
STEP 4: Choose Your Crystal. Crystals are the conduits to what you wish to bring into your life. The selection of a crystal serves as the manifestation of what intention is being cast, what spiritual protector is by your side, or what healing needs to occur. Blue Sodalite brings harmony, re-establishing peace and tranquility, releasing fears and tensions. Green Aventurine is cheering you on; bringing the power of prosperity and good luck to all opportunities in your life. Rose Quartz is divine love, opening up the heart chakra to every kind of love.
STEP 5: Bring On The "Sha." Once the face is hydrated and feeling silky, use the Gua Sha tool at about 15 degrees to the skin and apply light to medium pressure, the speed is slow and mindful. Repeat each movement five times.
- Define jaw contour: Work the Gua Sha from the chin to the ear, along the jawline. Once at the top of the jaw, tug and toggle the Gua Sha with an easy rock, back and forth, before gliding down the neck. This will effectively sweep away toxins.
- Sculpt your cheeks: Using the same technique, run the Gua Sha across cheekbones to your ear.
- Improve the appearance of eye puffiness and dark circles under the eye
- Lift the brow: apply the smaller corner at the inner corner of your eye. Sweep the Gua Sha along the eyebrow line towards the temple.
- Iron the worry lines: Follow with using the Gua Sha just above the eyebrows, and work the tool towards the hairline.
- Smooth those Tech Lines: The neck should be taken care of just as much as your face, and yes there is new line that comes with over use of mobile screen, called tech line, right where you neck fold to look at mobile screen. Starting at the center of your neck, glide the Gua Sha along and across the neck towards the chin.
Each of this movement massages the lymphatic system, encouraging stagnant toxins to flush, to prevent the appearance of breakout.
STEP 6: Glow. First thing people notice is a change in complexion tone, more rosy look, facial traits feel relaxed giving you a rested look (even when not rested)
Practice as often as you’d like. It is an intuitive practice that we recommend partaking in at least 3x a week. It becomes second nature, pretty soon you’ll be Gua Sha while watching tv and won’t be able to live without it.. For best results, exfoliate to enhance the benefits of the serum.