1. Pour vegetable broth into a large pot and place over high heat. Bring to a simmer.
2. While broth heats up, place onion and ginger onto baking sheet and place under broiler. Cook until lightly charred on top, about 4 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning. Rotate and cook until charred on opposite sides.
3. Add onion and ginger to broth, along with cinnamon, cloves and soy sauce or tamari. Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes, adding a bit of water if the mixture reduces too much.
4. While broth simmers, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water.
5. Coat the bottom of a large nonstick skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Add tofu cubes and cook about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice, until browned on multiple sides. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel.
6. When broth has simmered for at least 30 minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove onion, ginger and spices. Add shiitakes and simmer until tender, about 4 minutes. Add carrots and simmer just until slightly tenderized and bright orange, about 1 minute.
7. Divide noodles and tofu among bowls and ladle broth and veggies over top. Serve with toppings of choice. Enjoy :-)