Vegan French Toast
For this week's Eating for Beauty we took a fun vegan twist on French toast, the classic breakfast and popular weekend brunch. Ground chia seeds replace the eggs, making it moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. It is so delicous, sweet and easy to prepare!
Then to top it off we used handfuls of fresh blueberries and strawberries - both skin-friendly fruits.
Blueberries have one of the highest capacities for antioxidants when it comes to fruit. Antioxidants fight off free radicals, the bad guys known to cause premature aging.
Strawberries contain more anti-aging vitamin C than oranges. Vitamin C is associated with fewer wrinkles and less age-related dry skin, while fighting free radicals that lead to fine lines and collagen loss.
Enjoy this delicous sweet treat!
1 heaping Tbsp chia seeds (whole or ground into a fine meal so they're undetectable)
1/2 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
1 cup fresh nut milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 slices bread (It's important to use a sturdy, rustic bread so it doesn't get soggy)
1. Mix all ingredients except the bread in a large bowl. Place in the fridge to activate for 10-20 minutes.
2. Preheat skillet to medium heat and grease with 1 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil.
3. Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 20 seconds on each side.
4. Place on skillet and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well (about 3-4 minutes.)
5. Top with desired toppings. We went with fresh berries, maple syrup and vegan butter but coconut whipped cream is also a yummy option!