Upgrade your morning with this fresh new take on traditional pancakes. These Spiced Coconut Pancakes use coconut milk, nutmeg, and allspice, bringing in a world of new flavors while still being simple to make. Using coconut milk filled with Vitamins C and E, these pancakes not only taste delicious, they’re a rich source of antioxidants.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 13 1/2-ounce can light unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Fruit (for toppings)
- Additional pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl.
- Whisk coconut milk, 1 1/4 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and vanilla in medium bowl.
- Whisk coconut milk mixture into dry ingredients until batter is pourable.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with vegetable oil.
- Working in batches, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Working quickly and using back of spoon, spread each pancake into about a 4-inch round.
- Cook until small bubbles appear on surface and bottoms of pancakes are golden, reducing heat if browning too quickly, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- Place 2 to 3 pancakes on each plate. Top with maple syrup or fruit if desired.