One of our all-time favorite healthy snacks to bring to a holiday party is this Classic Chickpea Hummus recipe. Everybody loves hummus and you can literally eat it with almost anything – olives, chips, pita bread or even pizzas! Yum.
This delicious dip is packed with nutritious chickpeas and garlic which provide amazing benefits to the skin. Garlic contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help combat the appearance of breakouts. No wonder it has been used medicinally for centuries to encourage a fresh, clear-looking complexion.
Now back to the recipe. Head over to the kitchen and treat yourself to this magical dip :-)
12 oz dried Chickpeas (about 2 cups), soaked in water overnight
1 tsp Baking Soda
3-5 cloves of Garlic
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 -3/4 cup Tahini (based on preference)
1 cup Ice Cold Water
Optional Toppings: Olive Oil, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, etc.
1. Soak Your Chickpeas in water for 12-24 hours, then drain and rinse them.
2. Cook The Chickpeas with 3-5 cloves of raw Garlic (according to preference) and the Baking Soda (this softens them and makes them easier to peel).
3. Peel the Chickpeas. Drain and rinse the cooked beans, until no bubbles remain. Set the cooked cloves of Garlic aside and peel the Chickpeas. The skins should slide off quite easily when you gently “pinch” each bean.
4. Make a Chickpea Puree by adding 3 cups of the peeled Chickpeas and cooked Garlic to the Food Processor, then seal it shut. Mix the Lemon Juice and Salt together in a small bowl until the Salt dissolves, then slowly pour this mixture into the Food Processor while it is running to puree the Chickpeas until they are smooth.
5. Add Tahini and Water. Add in 1/4 cup of Tahini to the Food Processor, then seal it and add in 1/3 cup of Ice Cold Water while it is running. Let the Food Processor run for 4-5 minutes. Add in extra Tahini and Water in 1/4 cup increments, if you would like your spread to be thicker or creamier.
6. Serve with the remaining peeled Chickpeas and any toppings of your choice. Leftovers will keep well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!