Vegan Carrot Cake
We at Odacité are major carrot fans. Carrots are packed with amazing nutritional properties, particularly Vitamin A which helps prevent signs of premature aging, acne, dry and patchy skin, hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. Carrots also contain antioxidants to help fight sun damage, the #1 cause of wrinkling and sagging. On top of that, carrots assist with liver functioning and digestion to remove toxins that contribute to unhealthy-looking skin.
Below is a delicious vegan and gluten-free Carrot Cake recipe - a loveable classic with a healthy twist - PLUS all the skin benefits!
- 2¼ cups (256g) flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ½ cup (melted) coconut or canola oil
- 2 cups grated carrots, medium-packed
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar and oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the carrots and stir until just combined.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: combine all frosting ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until very smooth for 1 to 2 minutes or more, scraping down the sides occasionally. You can add an extra tablespoon of almond milk if necessary to get your blade moving.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before spreading. (It will firm up a bit). Add walnuts if desired
- Store frosted cake in the fridge.
Inspired by Love and lemons