Pumpkin spice lattes are great and iconic, but if you want to pay true homage to the fall season with some actual pumpkin, follow the instructions to make this delectable, seasonal salad.
Made with pumpkins, beets and kale this salad is full of tasty anti oxidants that will leave your taste buds and stomach happy. Add beautiful autumnal color on top of a bed of leafy green kale for a healthy lunch or dinner.
1 cup of golden beets, peeled and cubed
1 ½ cup of brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 cup of pumpkins, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp of olive oil
A pinch of salt
A pinch of black pepper
1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of lacinto kale, stems cut
2 cups of quinoa
¼ cup of dried cranberries
Add 2 cups of crusty bread of your liking, rip into strips or cut into cubes
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the beets, brussel sprouts, and pumpkin onto a baking sheet. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and add the pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
2. Roast the veggies on the top rack for 25-30 minutes until the beets and pumpkin and fork tender and the brussel sprouts are caramelized.
3. Toast the bread to your liking and when done, the strips or cubes should be crunchy on the outside and softer in the middle.
4. Slice the kale into thin, long pieces and put them into a large serving bowl to mix later. Do the same to the apple and toss it in the same bowl.
5. Rinse and cook the quinoa by boiling it in a pot or in a rice cooker. Boil on low for about 15 minutes with a lid covering the pot.
6. Add dressing of your liking.
7. When the veggies and done roasting and bread is toasted, remove them. Transfer the bread to the bowl with the kale and apples. Add in the cooked quinoa. Toss in the roasted veggies once they slightly cool, add pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. Mix to combine. Serve with remaining dressing if desired.
The recipe serves 2-3 so you can share with friends to show how thankful you are for them. You can even enjoy it with a PSL if you can’t get enough of that fall flavor.