Hi everyone! Maria here from Spinach for Breakfast.
Tis’ the season for warm and nourishing food! I love having a bowl of cozy oatmeal for breakfast in these winter months. It’s filling and fuels me for the day! Lately I’ve also been adding an egg to my oatmeal for extra protein. And not an egg on top, I whisk it right into the oats while cooking! It makes the oatmeal nice and fluffy, and you can’t even taste it.
Pair this cozy breakfast bowl with a face masque, and you’ve got yourself a perfect morning :-)
½ cup old fashioned oats
1 cup of nut milk
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup or honey
1/8 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed (*optional)
1 tablespoon of hemp seeds (*optional)
1 egg (*optional)
1. In a microwave safe bowl, use a fork to whisk 1 egg*, vanilla, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
2. Add flaxseed, hemp seed, oats, and milk. stir to mix.
3. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, then stir and microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes (times may vary depending on microwave strength). the oatmeal will be done when it is fluffy when stirred.
4. On a stovetop, add the nut milk to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
5. Add in the oats, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla, flaxseed*, and hemp seeds*, mix together and begin to cook.
6. Whisk the egg* in a separate bowl and add to the oatmeal when it's about halfway cooked.
7. Stir frequently until the oatmeal is fluffy and the liquid is almost absorbed. Enjoy!