We are so excited to announce our second Eating For Beauty collaboration with Maria Koutsogiannis, a healthy Greek Canadian fitness and food enthusiast, recipe creator and founder of FoodByMaria. Maria is a lover of organic whole foods and all things green & plant-based eating. We will let Maria take over from here and introduce you to her glowing-goddess recipe below!
Hi everyone! It’s Maria from FoodByMaria.
I wanted to introduce you to this magical Glowing Golden Milk, infused with turmeric which is known to be a powerful healing root that has been used for its antioxidant and soothing properties.
What makes this recipe more special is that it is completely homemade 😊. Being mindful, to me, means making what you can at home and considering the feelings and well-being of the people and animals. Making my own milk is so rewarding and is truly such a beautiful and simple process. It takes minutes and honestly tastes better than most store-bought dairy milk!
For the Homemade Plant-Based Milk:
1.5 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut flakes
1L hot water
3-4 dates or 1-2 tbsp. maple syrup*
Dash of cinnamon, I personally like adding more
For the Golden Milk Latte:
3 cups plain, light coconut milk
1 ½ tsp. grated turmeric or good quality turmeric powder
¼-½ tsp. ground ginger
¼-½ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. maple syrup – optional if you’re using my homemade coconut milk
Pinch ground black pepper
1. To make the homemade milk, place coconut in heat proof bowl and add water. Stir the mixture and allow it to cool to room temperature.
2. Add all your ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until completely smooth.
3. Test by checking consistency of the liquid. If the mixture is not grainy, then you are ready for the next step. Run your milk through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag.
4. To make the Golden Milk Latte, add light coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, coconut oil, maple syrup and black pepper into a small pan.
5. Cook on low heat for around 3-5 five minutes. Use a whisk or spoon to combine. Make sure you do not bring your mixture to a boil (don’t want to lose your liquid).
6. Split gorgeous mixture into two glasses and enjoy!