Creamy Beet Detox Soup
I'm sure for most of us we are recovering from a long holiday weekend of parties, indulging and staying up late. This week I am sharing with you my go-to detoxifying remedy for this time of year.
Beets are not only visually inspiring, but they also make for a lovely detoxifying winter meal when paired with a little bit of ginger and cayenne pepper. The juicy red roots are a great aid in digestion as they are full of fiber, folate, betanin, nitrates other great plant nutrients. They are known to help strengthen the liver and therefore clean up the blood stream.
This creamy beet detox soup recipe is a great go-to remedy after the holiday season when plates are full of rich foods and sweets. Enjoy and cheers to health and beauty for the new year!
3 large beets
2 sticks celery
2 garlic cloves
2 slices fresh ginger (1/4 in thick, 1 in wide)
3/4 cups coconut milk
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Skin and chop beets into cubes. Chop celery, onion into similar sized chunks. In a mixing bowl, add chopped vegetables, garlic cloves, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, salt, olive oil and coconut oil and mix with a spoon until all vegetables are coated.
- Transfer veggies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour remaining oil/spices from your mixing bowl over the top. Spread veggies out on the baking sheet so they are evenly distributed. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Once veggies are finished roasting, transfer to a large pot. Add vegetable broth and fresh ginger slices and bring to a boil, then let simmer for 10 minutes. Slowly stir in coconut milk.
- With whatever blending tool you have on hand, process soup until desired consistency is reached.
- Simmer blended soup for another 5-10 minutes then serve.