Protein and fiber are key parts of a healthy diet, especially during this time of year, when many of us have made resolutions to become more active in our daily lives. These chickpea pancakes are packed with fiber and protein and they are even gluten-free! Serve with fresh vegetables of your choice for a simple and nutrient-packed meal.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Add the chickpea flour to a mixing bowl. Slowly add the water, whisking continually, to form a smooth, lump-free batter.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, pepper, onion, and cumin seeds. Cook until softened.
- Add the mixture to the chickpea batter along with the chopped cilantro and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add the batter back to the frying pan one tablespoon at a time, spreading it out to form thin pancakes until the pan is filled.
- Cook each side on medium-high heat for about 2 minutes (time may vary) until lightly browned.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Makes about 23 small pancakes.