Lifestyle Guide To Slow Aging Down -- Naturally
According to both science and general life experience, the key to living longer, looking younger and feeling our absolute best goes beyond the anti-aging beauty products we slather on our skin.
That is right - aging is more than just skin deep and in fact 80% of skin aging is determined by your lifestyle and environment: weather, stress, pollution, sleep, diet and cycle. All of these factors can show up on our skin in the form of wrinkles, dullness, dryness and sagging skin.
There are many elements you can do to slow the aging process. From adopting a diet high in antioxidants and exercising, to reducing stress and of course choosing the right skin care products; you can take years off your skin naturally. Follow the simple steps below to get started!
1. Eat more antioxidants (choose organic when possible) : Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals — molecules produced when your body breaks down food or is exposed to tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals may play a role in damaging your skin as well as heart disease, cancer and other diseases.
Plant-based foods are the best sources for antioxidants. They include blueberries, acai berry, dark chocolate, goji berries and pecans.
Bonus! Choosing organic food avoids exposure to pesticides and fertilizers that also have hormone disruptive activity on your body.
2. Green your skin care routine: This can't be stated enough, up to 60% of what we put on our skin gets absorbed, so the products we put onto our bodies affects our health and overall well being-either good or bad. Unfortunately, many store-bought brands contain the very ingredients that ruin and destroy our skin in the first place, leading to premature aging and more wrinkles. Opt for all natural, organic skin care products that will feed your skin and starve your wrinkles.
3. Less stress, more beauty sleep: Did you know that just one hour less of sleep per night can increase cortisol levels ten-fold, which can lead to oxidative stress and imbalanced sugar levels - all of which will rob you of your youthful glow. One of the best anti-aging prescriptions we can prescribe you is to get plenty of high-quality rest (at least 7 hours). Research has shown that those who are sleep-deprived are more likely to have a pasty, puffy, and more wrinkled appearance. There's no better (and more relaxing) way to get fresh, plump skin other than sleeping :-)
4. Exercise daily: From optimal hormonal balance to a healthy stabilized weight, exercise is essential for youthful skin, strong bones and overall improved wellness. Try to include optimum workouts in your daily routine such as a brisk walk early morning or a short hike.
5. Detox your home: There are many toxic chemicals found in a wide array of products most of us have in our household without even knowing it. Opt for products made from all-natural ingredients that do no harm to you, those around you and the planet. Simple swaps include: opening windows instead of burning scented candles, using stainless steel or cast iron cookware instead of non-stick, and opt for 100% cotton/wool bedding when it is time to change the mattress.